Pages

Saturday 7 June 2014

the music should groove your bones

I just got out of the shower and was about to get ready to go to a wee free festival, just a 10 minute walk from my house(yeah... hostel). So I thought I could listen to some music that would get me in the mood.
Back in 2006 I lived and studied in Germany and had just moved into a new flat with a new flatmate and it turned out we were rather perfect for each other. We were so similar! Same hair, same body type, similar clothing. My mom even asked, if I had been cloned. At some point, one would say what the other one thought and we even invented our own secret code.
But also a very similar taste in music. From some old school goth stuff to the singer/songwriter stuff I was into at the time.
In fact, before going to Uni I had spend a couple of months in Ireland and I fell in love with the country and its music scene. I still keep going back every now and then.
So back in our flat I would play my favourite bands and singers all day long, to the point where she knew them, too. Because I was missing Ireland a lot, we kept going to an Irish pub in our town and two Irish boys were playing every weekend, and we became kind of their fans. They must have thought we were nuts, well they weren't far off.
Around the same time the singer of a German punk rock band died. I had not exactly been friends with him, but since we lived in the same city we ran in to each other here and there. And it hit me hard! So we bought a bunch of their CDs at a car boot sale I think. We listened to them a lot, too.
It's crazy thinking about this time now. It feels like it's a million years ago but on the other hand a lot of memories are still fresh and they are very precious.
I know that I have not always been the best friend. In fact I have been a proper bitch in a certain situation. And I still think about what would have happened, if I hadn't been. But I guess you can't change the past, so I try to go with the good stuff. And I am very glad, that I was forgiven.
Anyways.... the playlist I stumbled upon on my search for upbeat music was a playlist of a bunch of our favourite songs. And as I was listening I got in a really good mood, started dancing in my wee room and all the memories came back to me.
It is a real gift to a soundtrack to that time.

And here is the playlist:
The Bates - Donna Clara
Declan O'Rourke - your world
Mund - July
John Byrne - (I am sorry, I don't know the title)
Roesy - Naughty Girl (Beyonce)
The Frames - Finally
The Verve - Bittersweet Symphony
Juliet Turner - Toxic (Britney Spears)
Paddy Casey - Sweet Suburban Sky
Brian McGovern - Scars
John Byrne - You'll Never Know
Declan O'Rourke - Sarah
Mundy - Healthy
The Bates - Ich bin nicht verliebt
Bell X1 - Like I love you (Justin Timberlake)
Myself - Go back (yes, I used to make music....)
The Bates - Immer weiter

No comments:

Post a Comment