Pages

Tuesday 15 July 2014

yarn yarn yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarn

I think I briefly mentioned that crafts have always been a big deal in my family, like a huge deal.
My grandmother was a tailor and I think my mother would as a teenager use her mom's sawing machine even though she knew that it would get her in trouble. I am pretty sure that she also learned crochet and knitting from my gran as well as in school.
So I've had hand made stuff all my life. In fact when I was born my mother was a single parent with a limited income and it was possibly cheaper for her to make linen and other things herself. My whole life, I had jumpers, dresses, skirts, shirts and socks that she or my grandma made, I still do actually.

I think I've also mentioned that when it was my turn to learn any of these crafts, I wasn't very interested, even though I didn't suck at crochet or knitting. In the past 20 years I've made a scarf here and there, but that was all I ever did. Until about 2 years ago I think. And well, you know the story of how I started to crochet here at the hostel and how my mother send me huge box of yarn.

At the end of June, I went to Germany to see my fiends and family and hang out on the coast for a wee while and of course I paid my mother a visit. Since my mother retired a couple of years ago and since I have moved out she has turned the whole house into a crafts centre. Literally every room, every shelf every corner is stuffed with fabric, yarn, craft magazines and books. It's crazy, I am actually kicking myself for not taking any pictures, because it is hard to put into words. My old room of over 20sqm has barely space for the mattress I sleep on when I come over (yeah, my bed and any other piece of furniture I used to own is gone). What used to be the attic is now a studio and that has about 80sqm (which is bigger that my last flat) filled with.... well you've guessed it. The old dining room is full of.... yep yarn and fabric.

So since I've picked up crochet, when ever I come over my mom gets a big box out and goes through her yarn with me - well some of it, all would be impossible - to see if I have any use for it, because she can't possibly knit that much (she doesn't really crochet anymore).

And this time was no different. We started at one end of the studio made our way through the whole thing and boom, the first box was too full. On we went to the living room, where she keeps the yarn for socks (one entire dresser full) and I think it was the next day she remembered some yarn she didn't need in boxes in the former dining room. And that's when the second box turned out to be too small.

So while I continued my travels (taking some yarn with me, so I could crochet on the road) she found an even bigger box to fit all the yarn in and send it to me. A few days after I got home it finally arrived. And maaaaan, I didn't even realise how much stuff it was, because we simply kept adding to the pile. Now I have sooo much yarn. As I've said, I already started to crochet away, while I was still in Germany and since I've come home I haven't stopped. Unfortunately the box is so big, that there is no space in my room other than my bed, so I am sharing it now with said box. Here are a few pictures of the box and the results, although it really doesn't feel like I've done any damage to the mountain of yarn.












No comments:

Post a Comment