Pages

Friday 12 August 2016

Not All Gold Glitters

Unfortunately like so often in life, Edinburgh is becoming more and more victim of big companies, owning all the good places. But there are so many amazing alternatives. You just have to know about them.
I know what it is like to struggle in a sea of cheap and well knows crap and trying to make people buy my products instead of bloody H&M or Primark. And there are most likely a million people who don't care, but let me tell you something; WRONG BLOODY BLOG!

I care weather you buy your morning brew at Starbucks or one of my favourite coffee shops down the road. Because the big chains won't miss your pennies, but the small one might need exactly that in order to pay their staff members and the rent for their business. And they know all their staff members by name and know their back story and can tell by just looking at you, if you're having a rough morning or if you're farting flowers today. Try that with Starbucks (that thought makes me giggle).

And in Edinburgh the biggest pest in my humble opinion are souvenir shops (gag). Not souvenir shops in general, I get that this is an attractive city and a lot of people come here on their holidays, as exchange students or for a work experience and want to buy a wee reminder of that time to take home. But the umber of those shops is exploding and they are all owned by the same people with very few exceptions. And it hurts! Yes, it freaking hurts my soul to see the same cheap rubbish in every second shop on the Royal Mile. I am actually hoping that sometime soon, that particular Family has opened so many shops that they are their own competition and have to close and sell a few of them.

Because every time a business in the Old Town of Edinburgh closes, these guys rock up. EVERY SINGLE TIME!. Arts and Crafts shop closes - they take over. Chocolate and Soup closes - they take over. The two charity shops on the Mile close - they take over. Poundstretcher closes - they take over. And the list goes on and on and on.

And it's not only that they leave small businesses no choice but to find business elsewhere, it also looks bad. I personally find embarrassing at times to walk down the Royal Mile and look at the same or similar shop names and items over and over again. And don't tell me it's all made in Scotland. There is no way this wee country it able to produce that much cashmere.

And the few shops that actually do sell items made in Scotland have a hard time being seen in the jungle of postcards, hairy coos and Jimmy-hats.

I think the city council should not allow any more souvenir shops in Edinburgh's Old Town but I imagine they like the tax money too much, so ever do that.

And so I will do my bit and soon highlight a couple of shops that I think are worth a visit, if you're looking for a special something from Scotland

No comments:

Post a Comment