Pages

Monday 4 August 2014

Fringe Review II Who did I think I was (drama)

While the Fringe is on, I quite often just walk around and have a look what's on. I love walking up and down the Royal Mile and check out all the street performers and go to venues where I have seen good gigs before.
One of these venues is the Counting House/Blind Poet/Pear Tree House. Two years ago they had a fantastic show called Burlesque and Blues. Back in the day they were free but they have become so popular that they've moved on to a new venue and now charge £9 per ticket. And even outside of the Fringe I have seen good stuff there. They also have a lovely beer garden where they have really live music every day during the Festival. So I go there quite often just to hang out, listen to music and sort through all the flyers and events. And that's what I did yesterday when someone gave me a flyer to invite me to his show. So again I thought, why not... It was the first flyer I had gotten that day and somehow it sounded interesting. And so it was. 

The show is called "Who did I think I was" and basically tells the story of a man in his late 40s and his father who have a difficult relation ship but somehow end up living together again. Both have screwed up in different ways, both have suffered because mom had schizophrenia and yet they do not seem to understand each other at all.

Both parts are played by the same actor and I am not sure how much of it is autobiographical but it feels like the actor gives you a very intimate glimpse into his family life. It is funny in some parts but it also has intense parts so sad, I am sure a few people in the audience might tear up a bit.
But he plays his characters so well and convincing, changing his costume and his position on the tiny stage in a way that makes it clear which one of the two is talking.

I very much recommend this show, even though it might leave you bit uneasy. 

No comments:

Post a Comment