Pages

Wednesday 20 August 2014

Fringe review VII Blues Brothers

I have to admit, I've only seen the movie once. And it took me 31 years to watch it (that's right baby, that's how old I am), now I get why it's such a thing. But I've always loved the music long before I saw the movie. So when I heard that we have a Blues Brothers show here at the Edinburgh Fringe and that it was rated with 5 starts, I thought, YESSS. And if it's just a bunch of people performing these songs really well, it would be worth the £10.

It was. I mean it was worth £10 and it was a bunch of people performing these songs but it was so much more. So much energy, fun and hawt music! Surprisingly it was a really young crew, I don't think anyone was older than 30. But boy they had soul. It wasn't just Jake and Elwood on stage, singing along to some playback music, they had a full band with brass and back round singers.
Not only could all of them sing they could also dance like they were born to do it. Especially the combination of both is impressive as I know how hard it must be to sing in tune when jumping around stage.

Unfortunately the microphones of the two female background singers were a little to low at the beginning and you could barely hear them. They also sang Aretha Franklin's freedom and although they gave it their best effort they just didn't quite have the volume and range. But than again, who does? Trying to sing Aretha is nearly impossible you have to be a very special singer to get anywhere close to her awesomeness.

Who did an amazing job though was the guy singing James Brown's and a couple of other parts. The was just OH MY GOD AMAZING!!! He made my knees week and I was glad I was sitting already. Hot shit!

The two guys playing Jake and Elwood had their parts down to a T, they were so good for a while I wasn't sure, if they were actually singing and playing their harmonica live. There is not much more I can say about them, they were just perfect in their roles. Like they weren't casted but born for it.

The whole thing was just so much fun that it really didn't feel like an hour had passed, when they started the encore. And by that time pretty much then entire audience was on their feed and dancing and singing along, which was just beautiful. They played all the right songs from "Stand By Your Man" (including the hand movements!) and "Minnie the Moocher" to "Soul-man" and "Everybody". Such a good show, I am glad went to see them. If I didn't have to work the next couple of nights I might actually go and see it again. So yeah, I do recommend this show. But hurry up, the Fringe ends on Monday!

No comments:

Post a Comment