Pages

Sunday 10 August 2014

Fringe Review V The Lock-in Cabaret

The other night the hostel kids wanted to go to a cabaret show and asked, if I wanted to join them. Since I had a night off and I think I have not nearly seen enough shows I agreed to come along. And I am way more interested in cabaret than comedy anyways. 

The show was being held in the beautiful Voodoo Rooms. Not the easiest venue to find, but the room , the Lock-In cabaret was happening was amazing, kind of shabby chic.

The show itself turned out to be held by two magicians called Griffin and Jones who lead the audience through an hour of different artists that change every night. Griffin and Jones opened the show by the usual introductions, some jokes and magic tricks that shocked and maybe even grossed out the audience, but they were non the less impressive.

After that there was a female burlesque act, I am very sorry, but apart from Griffin and Jones I did not manage to catch any other names of the performers. Anyways, the burlesque act only performed one song, but I really enjoyed it. And NO not only because she took most of her close off, it was because the show she had put together was very clever, funny and her performance overall well done.

Next was a comedian from, as we learned during his performance, a tiny place in South England. He talked about how life as a country boy was and how it compares to the big city. I have to admit, that I did not understand everything he said. The rest of the audience seemed to find him very funny while I again, as usual had a chuckle here and there but wasn't blown away. It seems like I just don't share the same sense of humor. And as I said, I am not much for comedy shows anyways.

Next was another burlesque show. This time by a man, who at first played the role of a cowboy, including hat and toy gun. He included the front row of the audience which was quite funny especially since he had no problem coming on to the boys as well. In good old burlesque fashion he started taking most of his clothes off. With each item he lost, he produced a yellow flower. I have to admit that I am not sure that to do with male burlesque. I don't think it is sexy most of the time, but this performer managed with his cowboy outfit and the flower he produced to at least play a little with the male stereotype, especially since the flower he pulled out of his boxers hung it's had in rather sad manner....

The last performer was a female American comedian. And at his point I would like to mention that people in the audience, who can't shut up are arseholes! Her set was good and she tried at first to involve to hecklers and make fun of them but ended up ignoring them all together because they just wouldn't shut up. The comedian had no problem with crude jokes and making fun of her own country.

Griffin and Jones kept doing little magic tricks and a little stand up in between the different acts and also trying to get the noisy audience in the back to shut up. They were the perfect hosts for a show like that and ended it with wiggling themselves out straitjackets. A lot of entertainment for just one hour!.  

No comments:

Post a Comment