Pages

Monday 25 August 2014

the Fringe is over - halleluja!

Today is the last day of the Fringe. A lot of shows have already finished others have their last show tonight, but you can already see and feel that it's over. Today most of our short term guests checked out this morning and tonight a lot of beds will stay empty for the first time in about a month. And it feels good, like we can finally catch our breath. Don't get me wrong, the Fringe is a fantastic event, but it is also exhausting, especially if you live and work right in the middle of it.

The first thing that's different is the amount of people. They are everywhere and there are way too many of them. Just going to the supermarket is a challange, because you have to dodge tourists every two metres, you unintentionally photo bomb someone at least once a day, because you can't be arsed to wait till their done (at least I can't) and it just takes way longer to get where you want to go.

And with the people comes a ton of noise. There are buskers everywhere and they are not always that good, sometimes you want to give them money so they'll stop playing. Of course there are really good ones, too, but I am not always in the mood, for Spanish flamenco or Scottish bagpipes.
Since the military tattoo is one there are fireworks almost every night and sometimes you just forget and you get a little scare when it suddenly sounds like world war III is just up the road. Not to mention the army's jets flying above your house... But my least favourite noise are yelling partying people. Right in front of my window is a landing that leads to the flats above me and almost every night I have a bunch of kids out there yell-talking like it wasn't 4am and everybody else was their beds trying to catch some Zs. Disrespectful little twats!

I am also tired of working until 6.30am. Tonight is the last night, I have to do an all-nighter and you wouldn't believe how glad I am. It was fun in the beginning, because it was nice having the common area all to myself in the wee hours and all the time in the world to get the cleaning done but now I am just tired and looking forward to the shorter shifts. Also, I somehow don't seem to manage to get more that 5-6 hrs sleep at the moment and it's catching up with me, might be the noise. All I want to do is crawl into bed or even better go on a holiday on a deserted island (with a lot of sun!). 

Well the island is actually an option, maybe not with sun, but because I have worked so much I have a bunch overtime hours, which I can use in any of our other hostels. And we have one on the Isle of Skye. SOUNDS LIKE A PLAN!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment