Pages

Friday 22 August 2014

Fringe Review VIII Loretta Maine

I already wanted to see Loretta Maine's show last year, but unfortunately didn't have the money. Since my financial situation has improved this year and I saw that she was back again, I had to make sure I would catch her.

To be honest I didn't even know what to expect, but somehow her poster last year and the title off this year's show spoke to me: Strong independent woman (unless when I am very tired). Hell yeah, I can relate to that. And the poster last year reminded me a lot of Courtney Love, whose music I quite like, even though I am not sure, I would like her as a person, if I'd ever meet her.

Her show was held in one of the circus tents at the Assembly at George Square Gardens, which is a really nice venue. On stage we had a (female, yeah!!!) drummer, a guitarist, a keyboard player and Loretta herself. I did know that there would be some form of music involved, I just didn't know how much.

The whole show centered around Loretta herself, who is a bipolar, somewhat grungy, slightly alcoholic trailer park girl and celebrity singer/songwriter. In this year's show she tells us how her management and her are trying to change her image and make her a pop star, she even shows up in a pink cocktail dress but loses that and most of her other clothing during the show. And she goes from trying to be sweet girl to blubbering drunk white wine witch. That transformation is always accompanied by or told through her music.

Loretta includes the audience and no one is safe (not even me who tried to hide in the last row in the dark), she flirts with you, yells at you and sits on your lap. But apart from her comical talent, she really is an amazing musician. She can sing, I mean BOY CAN SHE SING and she does all kinds of styles, from pop, singer/songwriter to country and even rap. And she does it well, I am thoroughly impressed.

As I said, I didn't really know what to expect when I went to see the show and it was different from what I thought it would be but I was positively surprised and I recommend this show - not only to women!

No comments:

Post a Comment